Re: Caching Proxy for apt-get via http?

    Harald> Hi folks, To reduce network load and speed up upgrades I
    Harald> have installed a caching proxy on one of my machines
    Harald> (using Apache). But it doesn't work very well. Packages
    Harald> are downloaded from http.us.debian.org, even if they
    Harald> should have been taken from the cache due to an upgrade of
    Harald> another machine just a few minutes ago.

    Harald> The cache size is 300 MByte, so I doubt that this happens
    Harald> due to lack of space. And cheating Round Robin by using an
    Harald> IP address instead of 'http.us.debian.org' didn't help
    Harald> either.

Have you told squid that it can use greater then 100MByte (the
default)?

(When I upgraded squid from unstable to stable, I told dpkg to install
the new config file, with the low default limit. squid was
automatically restarted, and it proceeded to remove files from my
cache.  Ooops. Something you have to watch out for....)

    Harald> Does anybody out there know what is the problem here?
    Harald> Maybe its the failure of Apache. What are your suggestions
    Harald> for running a cache for apt-get?

In my squid file, I put in

refresh_pattern         \.deb$          43200   100%    43200
refresh_pattern         Release$        720     100%    720
refresh_pattern         Packages.gz$    720     100%    720
refresh_pattern         Sources.gz$     720     100%    720

to try and eliminate this problem. Seems to work fine. So far...
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>