Re: build depends on kernel-headers

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 09:44:07PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:

>> The thing is, kernel-headers should not be used at all unless you're
>> compile glibc, or modules.  Anything else will break.

> False. That is the very thing I want to alleviate (people using kernel
> headers from the libc6-dev package).

Nope, I wasn't suggesting that people should.  They should stop using kernel
header files whether it be kernel-headers or libc6-dev.

> People should not be using them, but if they do, they should use a
> kernel-headers package, and not rely on the headers in libc6-dev which
> are different on all archs, and change almost every new glibc build. You
> are never guaranteed to get the prefered kernel headers for your program
> (be it a scsi level thing like cdrecord, or mount tools like
> util-linux).

False.  People should not be using kernel headers at all.  Linus no longer
supports this, that is, if you do use it, you're on your own and it'll most
likely break with 2.4.

The preferred solution is to maintain your own set of headers that should
work across kernel versions.

> The point here is to make packages start moving to Build-Dep'ing on
> kernel-headers-* packages. The question is, how to allow them to do that
> easily.

Personally I think you're trying to solve a problem that will become a
non-issue as people realise this and stop using kernel headers.