Re: Installing debs in ~user/ or /usr/local?

On Sat, 5 May 2001 19:01:03 -0400
Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 02:33:45PM -0700, Alexander Hvostov wrote:
>
> > One could use fakeroot to create a sort of virtual machine, in which
regular
> > users can install packages as they please, but fakeroot doesn't
support
> > chroot (yet?), and I'm beginning to think a better solution would be
an
> > operating system within an operating system, and let the user play in
her
> > `own' system, and while it for all intents and purposes seems to be
running
> > on bare metal, it really is a virtual machine. That would be quite
fantastic
> > for doing normally privileged operations without a security risk,
though.

> You should look into the S/390 port.

The S/390 port is hardware specific. For obvious reasons (how many Debian
machines
are S/390s?), this is inadequate. And anyway, I was referring to a Linux
kernel
in a process (ie, it behaves just like any other program, albeit rather
large),
not two Linux kernels running separately, which is what I understand the
S/390
port does.

Regards,

Alex.