[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: possible bug in gettext (autotools?) or in some packages



Yo KoV,

On Thu, 03 May 2001, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> I noticed while creating a package for a gettext enabled program, that
> make install was installing the .mo file as <progname>@INSTOBJEXT@

Well, file important bugs against those packages, telling them to fix their
packages to refresh and use the debian-provided gettext instead of keeping
the cruft from upstream around.

Any Debian developer that needs to do this and doesn't know how, please feel
free to contact me. I had a lot of misadventures with gettext lately in
fetchmail, so I'm currently well-versed in the topic.

> I just changed po/Makefile.in.in to match:
> INSTOBJEXT=.mo
> instead of
> INSTOBJEXT= @INSTOBJEXT@

INSTOBJEXT doesn't even exist anymore in gettext 0.10.37...

> but I don't think that's clean enough...
You're right. It isn't :)

> comments?
Try installing the sid gettext package, and running gettextize -c -f in the
broken package's top source directory (don't forget to run aclocal,
autoheader and autoconf to rebuild the configure script using the updated
gettext macros, or else all hell breaks loose). It just might fix the whole
crap in one go, if the makefiles are sane. Be warned that the new gettext
does not tolerate much of the broken crap people sometimes toss into .po
files as the old one did (which is a Good Thing, btw).

-- 
  "One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring
  them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond
  where the shadows lie." -- The Silicon Valley Tarot
  Henrique Holschuh

Attachment: pgpcCwds9i4CO.pgp
Description: PGP signature


Reply to: