possible bug in gettext (autotools?) or in some packages

Hello Debian friends,

I noticed while creating a package for a gettext enabled program, that
make install was installing the .mo file as <progname>@INSTOBJEXT@
so I checked /usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES and noticed that
rpm and gtk+licq had also this problem. The problem is also happening
to other languages too as /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/ has a
rpm@INSTOBJEXT@...

it seems to me that gettext(or autotools) variable substitution is
not happening the right way...

I just changed po/Makefile.in.in to match:
INSTOBJEXT=.mo
instead of
INSTOBJEXT= @INSTOBJEXT@

but I don't think that's clean enough...

comments?

[]s!

--
       Gustavo Noronha Silva - kov <http://www.metainfo.org/kov>