Re: why dig ? I wanna use nslookup !

"John H. Robinson, IV" <jhriv@ucsd.edu> writes:

> On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 04:02:33PM -0400, Jacob Kuntz wrote:

> > Closed-source software is even more of a pity. DJB's license (or lack there
> > of) makes it impossible to distribute binaries that aren't compiled by DJB
> > himself.
>
> i certainly hope you speak out of ignorance, i would hate to think that
> you are deliberately trying to mislead us
[...]
> 	You may distribute a precompiled package if
>
> 	 o installing your package produces exactly the same files, in
> 	   exactly the same locations, that a user would obtain by
> 	   installing one of my packages listed above;

If you compile it yourself, the files will not be exactly the same.
I'm not sure if timestamps are embedded in binary files on Linux, but
even if not, the odds that a different compiler will produce the exact
same files as his are unlikely.  It means you have to link against the
exact same libraries as djb.

So, "makes it impossible to distribute binaries that aren't compiled by DJB
himself" sounds pretty accurate to me.  It may not be the original
intent of the license, but what it looks like.

Stellar rays prove fibbing never pays.  Embezzlement is another matter.