Re: dpkg-statoverride: usage question.

On 02-May-01, 09:37 (CDT), Wichert Akkerman <wichert@valinux.com> wrote:
> Previously Rob Browning wrote:
> > I realized that maybe dpkg-statoverride was only intended for
> > the local admin, and that I should just ship my file properly sgid
> > mail.  So which interpretation is correct?
>
> Neither :). The reason you always had to call suidregister was that
> that was also the moment an override was applied. With statoverride
> dpkg itself applies the override, so you only no to use dpkg-statoverride
> to add or remove an override. Specifying default permissions is also
> no longer needed since dpkg gets those from the package itself
> already.

Okay, now *I'm* confused. If dpkg is getting the default permissions
from the package itself, doesn't that imply that Rob needs to ship the
file "properly sgid mail"? Or are you saying that by default nothing
should be sgid? Also, I thought dpkg-statoverride is, in fact, intended
only for the local admin.

Puzzled by the "Neither :)",
Steve

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read