Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

* Nils Rennebarth

| Instead of creating lots of different kernel-image packages what about
| a package that can create a kernel-image from source and gives you a list of
| some more or less generic kernel to choose from?

Abusing debconf, since it is such a nice interface. ;)

I'd prefer if Herbert were to maintain this, since he is already doing
all the different kernel configs.  It's really easy:

#! /bin/sh

. /usr/share/debconf/confmodule

db_input critical kernelconfig/config || true
db_go

db_get kernelconfig/config
if [ "$RET" = "i386" ]; then
    cp /usr/share/kernel-configs/config.i386 /usr/src/linux/.config
elif [ "$RET" = "i486" ]; then
    cp /usr/share/kernel-configs/config.i486 /usr/src/linux/.config
fi

db_purge

You get the idea. The template file which goes with it is something like:

Template: kernelconfig/config
Type: select
Default: i386
Choices: i386, i486, i586, i686, i686-smp
 Please choose the config file you would like to use when compiling

--

Tollef Fog Heen
Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.