Re: Proposing task-debian

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 11:10:47PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > I think it makes as much sense as the existing task packages.
>
> Existing brokenness is no excuse for new brokenness though. I have gone
> into detail about how the current task system is fubar, and I think I've
> filed bugs on most of the task packages you mention since they should
> not exist.

A few sentences in policy, or a small web page on /devel might help keep this
from happening.  More effective though, I think, would be to give developers a
good way to express what they are trying to express with these broken task
packages.  I think they want to give users a way to easily select common
packages at installation time.  When I first installed Debian, I spent hours in
dselect figuring out what I wanted, and today there are several times as many
packages.

I think most packages that fall into this category are server programs.
Desktop systems tend to be installed once and last a long time.  I seem to
build servers many times more frequently than desktop systems, either to bring
more capacity online or to experiment with different applications.  Maybe what
is needed is a "Server installation" menu which allows the user to install
packages like these without searching around for them.

Or, maybe we just need a better dselect.

--
 - mdz