Re: Proposing task-debian

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 04:36:14PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman writes:
> > I think Emacs as a task makes good sense.
>
> I think getting it out of standard makes good sense, but I'm not convinced
> that it makes sense as a "task".

I think it makes as much sense as the existing task packages.  For example, we
have task packages for roxen (task-webserver-roxen), roxen2
(task-webserver-roxen2), and PostgreSQL (task-database-pg).  These refer to
specific implementations of a task, not just an abstract task.  Perhaps
task-devel-emacs would be the logical analogue.

In many Linux distributions, Emacs is a high-level installation task, like
"Games" or "Mail".  This makes sense to the average user, who usually either
wants Emacs or does not.

--
 - mdz