problems with atari800

I've been working on getting the newest atari800 code to build for Debian,
and I've run into some problems. (Well, yes, I'm having some compilation
problems as well, but this isn't about those...)

There are several sites that are pretty critical to the proper opperation
of this package that I can't get to at all.

I've been having problems with my new 2.2.19 kernel and mozilla's proper
behavior, however this behavior is also seen when running 2.2.17, like I
am using now. Also, on a clean running kernel and netscape I get
consistantly poor results.

http://atari800.atari.org/

is listed as the canonical source for all things atari, but a ping of this
address simply hangs. On the other hand:

http://www.signus.demon.co.uk/david/atari/atari.html

is even more important as it is the repository of all the various machine
ROM images needed to make the emulator do something useful.

If I ping www.signus.demon.co.uk I get an immediate "unknown host" error.

I _can_ ping other sites with no particular problem. If my local network
configuration is fragged, it is a very subtle situation, and not likely
anything I intentionally set up ;-)

Even once I can compile the current release, I'm not happy doing all this
work, only to be unable to make it work to any good purpose when complete.

Can anyone verify the existance/non-existance of these sites?

The site that _does_ work for me is:

ftp://ftp.sophics.cz/pub/Atari800

and you can pick up the source for 1.0.6 (the latest version) that
includes several other links in materials found in the DOC subdirectory.

I'm not sure whether I can trust my browser (or ping) to tell me the
truth, as I currently have my Sparc in such a state that I can't ping out
the ppp connections ;-( so it wouldn't surprise me to find something
subtly broken on my main intel machine as well...

And I know from extensive testing that an NFS enabled 2.2.19 kernel will
royally fragg mozilla's ability to make certain kinds of connections.
These symptoms go away when the previous kernel is booted.

So at this point I don't feel like I can trust anything I "know" about my
system, or what it's doing to me this time.

Does any of this make any sense at all?

Are the above sites really unavailable?

Help,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-