Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 05:39:34PM +0200, Kenneth Vestergaard Schmidt wrote:
> If instead, you were able to type something akin to "update-kernel" or
> whatever, and then have a kernel built suited to your arch, but with the
> "default" Debian-options (ie. lotsa modules), wouldn't that be better? I
> mean, just make a note to the user, to switch to another console, or minimize
> the window in case of X. Then he'll get a kernel freshly built. IMHO, that's

A compromise would be for the kernel-image- build environment for each
kernel-image- to be packaged as, say "kernel-builder-2.4.4-686-smp",
which would (I guess) consist of a depends on kernel-package,
initrd-tools and mkcramfs, a script to make and install the kernel using
make-kpkg, and the linux/.config file needed for that particular
configuration.

I'd suspect that each of these packages would be of the order of
64kbytes maximum.

--
Paul Martin <pm@debian.org>