Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 12:36:17AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 09:18:33AM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> > [...good stuff deleted...]
> >
> > Now, it doesn't take a genius, to see how this will cascade.
> >
> > [...more good stuff deleted...]
> >
> > The best way to handle all this, is to train users how to compile a kernel,
> > or, let them pick the optimization they want, and we compile the kernel for
> > them.
>
> well said.  couldn't agree more.

I could disagree pretty heavily by pointing that this would be shit as it
would add an hour to the install. Why not just provide a stock i386 kernel
and let people compile it later on? Some people need to patch in mm/swap
patches, netfilter patches, their own hacks, etc, etc.

--
Daniel Stone
Linux Kernel Developer