Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 12:41:22PM +0200, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 05:19:12PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > anyone running SMP ought to have enough of a clue to compile their
> > own kernel.
>
> This is the point where I disagree. I really hate having to build my
> own kernel just to do some tests with a fresh installation.

so you have spent good money on a high-end SMP machine but you're not
willing to put in 5(*) minutes work (running "make config" or menuconfig or
xconfig) to build a kernel which is optimised for your hardware.

strange.

IMO, it's even stranger when you consider that it's 5 minutes work only
for the first time that you compile a kernel for that machine (or type
of machine if you have a bunch of similar or identical machines). after
that, it's less work because you can re-use the old .config file and
just run "make oldconfig" to handle any new compile-time options.

(*) i'm not including the 3-15 minutes (depending on CPU and disk speed
and memory) it takes to actually compile the kernel because that can run
in the background - it's not work, it's just waiting (or getting on with
something else while it's compiling)

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

      GnuPG Key: 1024D/CD5626F0
Key fingerprint: 9674 7EE2 4AC6 F5EF 3C57  52C3 EC32 6810 CD56 26F0