Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

Herbert Xu wrote:
> > Now, my gut instinct says that, as of this moment in time, no one has
> > addressed the building of this initrd, to use at boot time, AFTER
> > installation.  Yes, we may have an installation initrd, but, in almost all
> > circles, that is going to be different that what is used after the system is
> > installed.  Has this boot time initrd been constructed?  Do we know how we are
> > going to do that?
>
> If you're referring to the bits on the installation media, then it's a
> question for the debian-installer folks to answer.  And IIRC they have
> already done it.

To answer doogies's question: There is a initrd-tools package that makes
the initrd used to boot the fully installed debian system every time it
boots up (until you build a monolithic kernel or choose not to use
initrd, or whatever). Herbert maintains this package, btw.

To answer Herbert's mistaken interpretation of doogie's question: Yes,
debian-installer has its own initrd too. It's pretty wacky. See preior
discussion on debian-boot for details if you're interested.

--
see shy jo