Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 08:37:35AM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 08:15:03AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 07:24:13PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> > > How are they going to compile a kernel if they haven't even installed
> > > Linux?
> >
> > that's obvious. by installing linux and then compiling a kernel.
>
> I hope you're being facetious.

ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

> > > The most important function of initrd is to reduce the number of
> > > kernel images needed on boot floppies to one.
> >
> > you're missing the point again.
> >
> > nobody is disputing that using initrd was a good idea - it's a useful
> > tool.
>
> Huh? Did you see what I was responding too? Just because this is in a
> thread about bloat, it doesn't mean that we aren't allowed to talk about
> other things.

in normal circumstances, that would be fine and pass without comment.

however, you have been using initrd as a distraction from the real issue
of kernel bloat.  you're willing to go off on long digressions about how
wonderful initrd is, but ignore the issue of package bloat.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

      GnuPG Key: 1024D/CD5626F0
Key fingerprint: 9674 7EE2 4AC6 F5EF 3C57  52C3 EC32 6810 CD56 26F0