Re: Lightweight Web browsers

On 01-04-27 Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Christian Kurz <shorty@debian.org> writes:
> > May I ask why you don't mention that this is a web browser for Gnome?
> > This information would be helpful for people that look for a lightweight
> > HTML browser, but don't want to install Gnome. For those people this
> > browser will not be a alternative, since it pulls in the whole bunch of
> > gnome libs. :(

>   I mainly focused on low memory consumption, and Encompass meet this
>   requirement.

Since maybe it wasn't obvious. I quite like to see software and
especially a web browser that doesn't use much memory.

>   Then, mentioning Gnome usually make people think that the Gnome
>   Desktop Environment is required to run the browser which is not the
>   case.

Well, I think that's a wrong assumption that people make, but you can't
change it. So maybe it should have been worded "mentioned the dependency
on the gnome libs".

>   And unless you have disk space restrictions, I don't see the problem
>   with installing gnome libs since these are shared between a growing
>   number of applications.
>   (Political reasons for not installing Gnome are not good reasons)

<Sarcasm>
So come on people, let's install all 6000 packages, because maybe we
could use them once.
</Sarcasm>

Well, I just try to keep my system as clean as possible, which includes
for me that I also check the installed libraries. And every time I try
one of those gnome apps, I'm astonished about the big bunch of libraries
that I have to install. Therefor I would prefer applications that just
depend on the GTK Libraries and not the Gnome-Libraries. Therefor I
would prefer it to know in advance if an ITP'ed software could become
interesting for me or not.

Christian
--
           Debian Developer (http://www.debian.org)