Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 10:20:33PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 10:14:12PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> >
> > Let me restate the facts. Again. Very slowly.
> >
> > ftp.au.debian.org was broken.
> > mirror.aarnet.edu.au was broken.
> > Both of the above had outdated packages, for their Packages file.
> > The kernel packages take up 110meg.
> > More megabytes, more stress.
> > More stress, more chance of breaking.
>
> Why don't you mail these site's admins and find out the real reason of them
> breaking rather than guessing?

So, you're telling me, that there's no way that the unnecessary duplication
of kernel headers, in stressing mirrors, storage, and bandwidth more,
contributed to this out-of-syncness?

Put it this way:
If we had 7000 1k packages, there would be virtually no breakages. If we had
7000 10meg packages, however, then you start to run into problems. You see?

> > It's simple. You create a monster like this, you are helping (read: helping.
> > not solely causing. helping. don't misquote me yet again) to create more
> > stress on mirrors. Which makes them more likely to break. Like ftp.au.d.o
> > and mirror.aarnet for the last 3 days (finally fixed tonight).
>
> It's hardly the biggest package directory in Debian.  With the latest
> version, it's even smaller than a few documentation packages.

No argument there, but this is where necessity and duplication comes into
play. These documentation packages, don't have 14 copies of the same file
now, do they?

--
Daniel Stone
Linux Kernel Developer