Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 10:07:03PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:

> > How the bloody hell is this a contradiction?
> >
> > This is NOT. A. CONTRADICTION.
>
> Did I say you were contradicting yourself? I was merely pointing out that
> you were making false claims.

No, these are entirely true. You know why? Because I had to put off my
dist-upgrade for 3 days because ftp.au.d.o and aarenet (the latter, as
usual), were both broken. That is not in *any* way false.

> Let me help you with your logic.  You said two things here:
>
> 1. ... you're helping break stuff for everyone
>
> 2. ONE HUNDRED AND TEN MEGABYTES PER KERNEL RELEASE DOES NOT HELP MIRRORS WHICH HAVE ...
>
> Somehow I don't see how 2 has got anything to do with 1.

Let me restate the facts. Again. Very slowly.

ftp.au.debian.org was broken.
mirror.aarnet.edu.au was broken.
Both of the above had outdated packages, for their Packages file.
The kernel packages take up 110meg.
More megabytes, more stress.
More stress, more chance of breaking.

Have you understood yet?

It's simple. You create a monster like this, you are helping (read: helping.
not solely causing. helping. don't misquote me yet again) to create more
stress on mirrors. Which makes them more likely to break. Like ftp.au.d.o
and mirror.aarnet for the last 3 days (finally fixed tonight).

The appropriate bug has been filed.

--
Daniel Stone
Linux Kernel Developer