Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 09:59:42PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 12:09:12AM -0500, David Starner wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 09:28:02PM -0500, Rahul Jain wrote:
> > > Unless you care about performace. Which is the main reason to use
> > > different packages for each CPU type.
> >
> > I compile my own kernels, and have for a long time. But it's a pain to
> > go through all the poorly-documented options and takes quite a while
> > to select those options and actually build a kernel. And then there's
> > the times I have to go back and recompile because I left out my mouse
> > drivers, or ide-scsi, or vfat. It's entirely rational to want to pick
> > up the 10% improvement from hitting the right button in dselect and
> > not worry about the 20% from recompiling the kernel.
>
> in that case, a far better solution is a package containing a bunch
> of pre-generated kernel .config files, plus a menu script to copy
> your choice to the right subdirectory (e.g. /usr/local/src/linux or
> wherever)...then run "make menuconfig" or "make xconfig" to let you
> tweak the .config before compiling.
>
> that would be one package, taking maybe a few hundred kilobytes total.
>
> call it kernel-helper and make it depend on kernel-package.
>
> problem solved.

That sounds like a neat idea.

Independent of whether or not Xu uploads a dozen pre-compiled kernels,
it would be nice to have their configs readily available.  I would
appreciate an easy way of seeing what tweaks are recommended to
optimize for an i686 machine.

-Steve