libdb2, gnome, and woody

Hi!

I wanted why libdb2 is being used for the debian gnome 1.4 when the upstream
version already uses libdb3. libdb2 has been deprecated by SleepyCat for
some time now (ie: bugs in it are not being fixed), and libdb3 is quite
stable -- it's been out since at LEAST last June. I have personally rebuilt
the gnome packages in sid against libdb3 with no problems whatsoever.

Obviously there is some self-interest here. :-) I have a few apps that use
both libdb3 and libgnome, which means that libgnome-dev can't conflict with
libdb3-dev (which it does by depending on libdb2-dev).

I understand there are some apps that need libdb2 b/c the interface was
changed, but seriously ... does it really matter that for these packages you
can't have libgnome-dev installed? And if at all possible, shouldn't these
packages just be ported to use libdb3?

Anyways, I just wanted to know what is going on. 'cause if g++ 3.0 is
appearing in woody (and it hasn't been released yet) how come libdb2 isn't?

Thanks.

--
Wesley W. Terpstra - Linux Developer