Re: Cryptic messages from installers

>libgmp3_3.1.1-4_m68k.changes uploaded successfully to ftp-master.debian.org
>along with the files:
>  libgmp3_3.1.1-4_m68k.deb
>  libgmp3-dev_3.1.1-4_m68k.deb

This isn't the installer speaking, it's just an upload queue daemon.  I don't
think the messages should be going to you anyway; it probably means one of the
porters isn't putting their email address in the right place in their .changes
file.

>There is no indication here as to the contents of the changelog (which
>would be nice to know for several reasons).

Given that this is a binary-only upload, and the version number doesn't
indicate that it's an NMU, the changelog should be exactly what you put in
your original upload of that package.

>The reason these things are importan for this message stems from an
>existing "can't build on m68k" bug report that was decided to be a gcc
>problem. Now obviously the package builds. Will the changelog close the
>bug, or must I do so?

The upload won't close the bug; someone has to do it by hand.  But the fact
that the package is uploaded doesn't necessarily mean the bug is fixed;
porters do sometimes make binary uploads that incorporate some kind of manual
hacking, if this is necessary to avoid holding up loads of other packages.
You probably ought to ask the original submitter for clarification.

p.