Re: Can't configure 3rd button on mouse

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 12:15:16PM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> The behavior is very eratic and unreproducable. Sometimes you can type at
> the T prompt, and sometimes you can't.
>
> At this point I don't think it has anything to do with xfig, but maybe.
>
> What I have figured out is that on my last upgrade to woody,
> xserver-common and most everything else was upgraded to 4.x, but I just
> discovered that my xserver-svga package is still 3.x. I'm not sure just
> how that happened.

XFree4 doesn't use it, that's how.  It's for not-yet-supported cards.
Chances are good if your card is reasonably modern, it's already supported
by XFree4, in which case you'll configure a module for it.  The Debian Way
of doing that is Branden's department, I just help people set up DRI
(which is amusing considering that I have yet to get it working for my new
system, but that's neither here nor there..)

> I discovered this when I tried to patch commands found in the config file
> generated by xf86config and the server didn't recognize the "Section
> InputDevice" command.
>
> I guess the next thing is to try to upgrade my xserver-svga.

There's dexconf or whatever it's called for that.

There's also XFree86 -configure to let X configure itself.

> I recently upgraded my mother board so I could run VMware, and this board
> has an SiS6326 graphics card built into the board (this one has everything
> but a coffeemaker ;-). Should I be using a different server or is svga
> enough. (I know it works, but with 5 meg on the graphics card I expected
> better performance)

I don't know if the sis chipsets are supported by Xfree4.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                Free software developer

<Palisade> knght, sheesh, are you pasting my words out of context in
           #debian or something?
<Palisade> ;)
<Knghtbrd> no, but I probably should be  ;>
<Palisade> d'oh!