Safe temp file handling in perl?

I've got a bug against netpbm for unsafe temporary file handling in
one of its utilities, which has prompted me to start to audit the rest
of the package. I can fairly easily make the shell scripts and C
programs it uses safe, but I don't see an obvious way to do it for the
perl scripts. I _could_ do something grotty using system() and
tempfile, but I'm hoping there's a better way.

Help, please?

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                   stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk
  Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that there