Re: Ian Jackson in San Francisco this weekend (~ 6th April)

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 03:56:36PM -0500, Ben Burton wrote:

> > How about a gay bar?
> >
> > <tee hee>
>
> I'm sorry, where's the joke?

I had this mental picture of all thse young twentysomething developers
(well, not all of them) wandering by accident into a gay bar, and being
enthralled in heady discussions of the segfault bug in dpkg or some other
point of minutae, not noticing for a very long time that the male/female
ratio inside the bar was remarkably high.

Probably in part because the male/female ratio among Debian developers
themselves is at least as high[1].

Granted, probably not all of the above was clear from my little one liner.
That's okay, it's completely typical for my jokes to suck.  There are few
eternal truths, but that is one.  :)

> With over 800 developers I suspect I am not the only one of minority
> persuasion.  A factoid to bear in mind. :)

I actually don't think it's terribly relevant.

> Btw, you should visit a gay bar some day.. you know we have a reputation
> for better music and far more style. ;-)

Heh, if you can dance to it, I don't like it.  I'm one of those freaky
progressive rock (and, of late, jazz fusion) lunatics.  If the meter isn't
changing every measure, I get bored.

That said, if Allan Holdsworth shows up in my town to play a club gig, I'm
going, gay bar or straight.  :)

Now, if I've done sufficient penance for putting my foot in my mouth, I'll
get back to preparing XFree86 4.0.3-0pre1v1 (that's actually not a joke)...

[1] Everybody wave hello to Demonishi, now. >;-)

--
G. Branden Robinson             |
Debian GNU/Linux                |        kernel panic -- causal failure