Re: merged messages mystery

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 11:20:36PM +1000, nemo@net.house.cx wrote:

> This was a one-off instance about 6 months ago if memory serves.
> Assuming the machine hasn't been upgraded since then (pretty sure it hasn't)
> then it was QPOP 2.53

Seems like qpopper is the problem. We had the same problem and fixed it
by installing qpopper from sid recompiled for potato. I wrote a script
at that time to check for error in the mail spool. Perhaps we can find
out which software is installed at the systems that show these errors?

Script attached. This reports a problem on that system:

Garbage in line 3168 of /var/mail/tg :
- From wd@min.uni-kiel.de  Tue Feb 29 11:47:13 2000

Hmm... I would really like to find a solution to this problem.

cu
	Torsten
#! /usr/bin/awk -f

/^From[^:]/ {
		if(!empty && FNR>1) {
			garbled = 1;
			print "Garbage in line", FNR-1, "of", FILENAME, ":";
			print "-", line;
			print "-", $0;
			print "";
		}