Re: Woody Freeze Plans - Progress Report

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 01:20:28PM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> Of course, take Nobody with a grain of salt.  But all those old
> systems are already running debian, no need for new install.  I expect

rubbish, there are plenty of machines out there not running debian
that someone might wish to install on.  also don't forget filesystem
corruption, security compromise etc etc, there are many times when a
fresh install is required.

> that most new installs by far should be done booting from CD, esp. in
> the powerpc world.  Anyway, it looks like boot-floppies means that I

this is not true, its not currently possible to make a bootable Debian
CD for OldWorld PowerMacs. the only way its possible to make bootable
CDs for those at all is to use a proprietary MacOS software to make
the CD image, and the CD has to be distributed with non-free and
proprietary Apple CDROM drivers (which come with the proprietary CD
writing software).  this is a quite unacceptable option for debian so
OldWorld PowerPCs will not have bootable CDs in the forseeable future.
(the firmware on those machines is just too broken to rely on other CD
boot methods)

besides that point, there are so many different varients of PowerPC
hardware (beyond apple's) that all boot differently, i don't think its
possible to make a single powerpc CD boot all these different
subarchs.

> can install woody/powerpc from CD, so all is right.

yes of course its been this way for a long time.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/