Re: Woody Freeze Plans - Progress Report

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Anthony Towns wrote:

> In short: there hasn't been any, go help Adam and David with
> boot-floppies.
>
> The optimistic schedule is roughly as it was before, but with the dates
> bumped back by a couple of months:
> That's still ridiculously optimistic though. A more realistic schedule,
> based on the time it's taking boot-floppies to get working is probably
> more like:
>
> 	2001.08.01 -- working boot-floppies
> 	2002.03.01 -- finished boot-floppies, standard frozen
> 	2002.04.15 -- release

In my opinion, the last possibility seems to be too late. I think of two
possibilities:

1. Use both the new and the old boot-floppies (for cases where the new
   one's don't work) and begin the freeze as proposed in your "optimistic
   schedule".

2. We have the working potato boot-floppies. I know they aren't the best
   but they are working. Let's freeze woody with a schedule near the old
   one you proposed in [1] and release it with (slightly improved) potato
   boot-floppies. Then we'll make a freeze for the next release at about
   three months after the release of woody. This solution has the
   advantage that our users don't have to wait for the next release until
   the new boot-floppies are ready and the first release with the new
   boot-floppies won't be that much later than in your "realistic
   schedule".

> Just in case anyone was wondering, anyway.
>
> Cheers,
> aj

cu
Adrian

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce-0102/msg00014.html

--

Nicht weil die Dinge schwierig sind wagen wir sie nicht,
sondern weil wir sie nicht wagen sind sie schwierig.