Re: ITP: libmpeg3 -- an mpeg audio and video decoding library

* Brian Ristuccia (brian@ristuccia.com) wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 07:06:57PM -0700, Joshua Haberman wrote:
> >
> > There is one legality issue regarding this library: it contains DeCSS
> > code. The tarball contains a stub file that can be substituted for the
> > source file containing DeCSS code, however the upstream tarball will
> > still have the DeCSS code in it. How should I resolve this?
> >

> libcss and other CSS implementations contain cryptography, so it needs to go
> in non-us unless you complete a BXA export notification form.

I was just planning to strip the CSS code from the archive altogether to
sidestep the issue, because I assumed distributing CSS code would be a
no-no.

But if I left it in and sectioned it as non-us/main, would I even be
able to legally package it as a person located in the borders of the US?
What's the difference between me uploading it to Netherlands and a user
from the Netherlands apt-get'ting it from a US mirror? I suppose this is
a basic question, but I couldn't find it in any of the references or
guides.

Joshua

--
Joshua Haberman                                        <joshua@haberman.com>