Re: Packages still using /usr/doc in unstable

On 01-03-27 Dale Scheetz wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:

> > I think this is rather too short notice for normal bugs, FWIW, much as
> > I'd like to get the /usr/doc monster slain.

> > >Be sure to at least attempt to contact maintainers, so efforts aren't
> > >duplicated. Some of us take more than one or two days to work through a
> > >package upgrade, so while the bug you want to squash may look easy, it may
> > >also already be fixed in the "soon to be uploaded" work of the maintainer.

> > >I know you guys are in a hurry during BSPs, but you really must contact
> > >maintainers. Just because the bug is old and unfixed, doesn't mean that
> > >the maintainer is not aware of and working on a fix.

> > Bugs with any recent activity won't (shouldn't) be touched in
> > bug-squashing party NMUs, so just a note in the bug to the effect that
> > you're working on it is enough.

> Great! Now when I want to work on a bug, I have to dedicate some time
> before hand to making sure the BTS knows what I'm doing? That's never
> going to happen. Sometimes I only have 20 minutes to work on the package.

And it doesn't take more then 3 minutes to type echo "I work on this
package" | mail -s "Status of Bugreport"  bugnumber@bugs.debian.org to
update the status. This can easily be typed within 2 minutes and wil
asure that everyone knows that you take care of your bugs and your
package. So what is so difficult about this?

> Just how hard is it to send me a message when you want to work on one of
> my packages? I'm not saying you need my permission in a reply in order to

And then wait for 2 weeks or more to get an answer from you or some other
maintainer before we maybe can NMU the package?

> Keeping the maintainer in the dark is pointless. Suggesting that a bug

And keeping other maintainers in the dark about your packages and your
activities on them is pointless too.

Christian
--
           Debian Developer (http://www.debian.org)