Re: Packages still using /usr/doc in unstable

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:
>> > Please ask maintainers before doing it, though.
>>
>> I believe doogie filled bugs against all the packages, so everyone has
>> been warned.
>> Killing these will be a goal for the next bugsquash weekend.

I think this is rather too short notice for normal bugs, FWIW, much as
I'd like to get the /usr/doc monster slain.

>Be sure to at least attempt to contact maintainers, so efforts aren't
>duplicated. Some of us take more than one or two days to work through a
>package upgrade, so while the bug you want to squash may look easy, it may
>also already be fixed in the "soon to be uploaded" work of the maintainer.
>
>I know you guys are in a hurry during BSPs, but you really must contact
>maintainers. Just because the bug is old and unfixed, doesn't mean that
>the maintainer is not aware of and working on a fix.

Bugs with any recent activity won't (shouldn't) be touched in
bug-squashing party NMUs, so just a note in the bug to the effect that
you're working on it is enough.

The whole point of bug-squashing parties is to make it clear that RC
bugs where the maintainer hasn't displayed any response at all are going
to have to be fixed by someone else. And, since a lot of those
maintainers are too busy to respond to mails straight away, we'd have to
allow a couple of weeks to contact the maintainer (so we'd lose all the
good effects of people turning up over a weekend and helping each other
with bugs). But, er, it's already been announced on -devel-announce a
couple of weeks beforehand, such notice being half the point of the
announcement ... There are plenty of people who do say "don't touch my
packages, I'm working on them", and as far as I know this is always
honoured.

Perhaps it would do no harm for whoever compiles the eligible RC bug
list this time round to send a note to all affected maintainers saying
that they have old unfixed bugs that may be worked on. Otherwise the BSP
ends up not being allowed to fix anything, which I think would mostly be
a bad thing.

>Also, if you make a change, and the maintainer makes an upload shortly
>after without that change, it will be lost because you couldn't take the
>time to contact the maintainer.

That's why NMU diffs are supposed to be filed in the BTS as soon as
possible, isn't it?