Re: DACT : was Re: Source-Only Uploads and Packages{,.bz2}

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 09:26:21AM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:

> (warning blatent plug)
>
> Did i hear someone mention dact ?
>
> DACT is a multi-algorithm compression program it compressses each block
> within the file with the best algorithm for the given data, currently it
> can compress/decompress using RLE, Delta, Text, Zlib, Modified Zlib,
> Bzip2 and Seminibble Encoding.

This reminds me of Gödel, Escher, Bach's dialog "Canon by Intervallic
Augmentation". Soon, we will have specialized compressors for EVERY kind of
file, each file can be compressed to only a handful of bytes, which only
indicate which decompressor to use ;)...

Always add the size of the decompressor program to the size of the compressed
file. I wonder if DACT is better than bzip2 then....

  Guus Sliepen <guus@sliepen.warande.net>
See also: http://tinc.nl.linux.org/
          http://www.kernelbench.org/