DACT : was Re: Source-Only Uploads and Packages{,.bz2}

Anthony Towns wrote:
<snip>
> sid. We're adding Packages.bz2 files, though. This'll be a saving of
<snip>
> for grepping, though. Sources.bz2 will appear too.

(warning blatent plug)

Did i hear someone mention dact ?

DACT is a multi-algorithm compression program it compressses each block
within the file with the best algorithm for the given data, currently it
can compress/decompress using RLE, Delta, Text, Zlib, Modified Zlib,
Bzip2 and Seminibble Encoding.

New algorithms can be added very easily, so there wont ever be a big
hassle retooling to support a new compression program, just add it to
dacts toolchest and your done.

It has a variable block size (although the library does limit the real
block size).

It can be forced to only use specific algorithms (e.g. gzip or bzip2),
or excluded specified algorithms

DACT has been uploaded, expect it in your archive soon !

Glenn