Re: LVM

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 03:01:55PM -0800, Ralph Jennings wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 04:58:41PM +0200, Robert van der Meulen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Quoting Itai Zukerman (zukerman@math-hat.com):
> > > Anyone know what's going on with the lvm/lvm-common packages?  I
> > > E-mailed the maintainer but haven't heard back and am wondering
> > > if anyone has any additional info...
> > I also emailed the maintainer, about 3 weeks ago. Still got no response,
> > offered to take over the package if he doesn't have time to maintain it.
> > I would happily take it over and fix the bugs, as i use LVM stuff daily (on
> > my home system, as well as ftp.debian.nl (ugh)).
> > What are the procedures for 'taking over' a package if the maintainer is
> > unresponsive ? Would it be justified if i took it over ?
>
> Check out "www.sistina.com/lvm", the one shipped with 2.4.2 is I
> think beta2 and very buggy, beta6 is out now.  The authors claim
> not to have given the beta2 patch to Linus, and are waiting for
> more stability before they do send in a patch.  They ask that
> nobody send in a patch for them as that's how the current 2.4.x
> kernels got buggy code in them.

Actually, we didn't give the 0.9 patch that was in the 2.4.0 linux release
to Linus.  We gave him the 0.9.1 beta2 patch to start to help clean up the
mess that was in 2.4.0.  Hopefully we will have the latest stuff in the
kernel soon, but it generally takes a while to get the patches past Linus.

And yes, we would appreciate it if no one sends patches in for us, at least
w/o asking us first.  ;)  If we had been asked about whether or not to add
LVM 0.9 to the 2.4.0 Linus release, we would have definitely said no.  It
was still in beta stages and needed to be tested before being submitted.

Regards,
--
AJ Lewis
Sistina Software Inc.                  Voice:  612-379-3951

Current GPG fingerprint = 3B5F 6011 5216 76A5 2F6B  52A0 941E 1261 0029 2648
Get my key at: http://www.sistina.com/~lewis/gpgkey
 (Unfortunately, the PKS-type keyservers do not work with multiple sub-keys)