Re: Help needed, TDFX [Re: Release-critical Bugreport for March 23, 2001]

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 14:54:35 -0600
Gordon Sadler <gbsadler1@lcisp.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 03:20:09PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 02:48:23PM -0500, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:
> > > X4 no longer knows about glide2
> >
> > That's not precisely true.  xfree86 Build-Depends on libglide2-dev for a
> > reason; to build the "glide" driver which gives you a *2D* X environment on
> > Voodoo Graphics and Voodoo2 cards.
> >
> You mean to say a Voodoo2 graphics card that is sold/marketed/used as a
> 3D only chipset, can be used under X4 as a '2D' card? With no other
> VESA/VGA card available?
>
> If that's true that's great, I have a V2 sitting here doing nothing,
> don't play many games under Linux -). But I could use it build another
> computer that's missing a graphics card, and use gdm/xdm/kdm to boot
> straight to X4?

The Voodoo Graphics and Voodoo2 chips are designed mainly for 3D, but they
are also capable of 2D. The reason that they aren't marketed for this is that
their 2D performance is exceedingly slow (ie, unaccelerated) compared to cards
that are actually designed to do 2D. The 2D capabilities of these cards is
mainly intended for drawing in-game 2D displays, such as heads-up displays,
status bars, etc.

Use the `glide' driver in XFree86 4.x to use your Voodoo2 as the only video
card.

Regards,

Alex.