Re: Help needed, TDFX [Re: Release-critical Bugreport for March 23, 2001]

On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 03:20:09PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 02:48:23PM -0500, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:
> > X4 no longer knows about glide2
>
> That's not precisely true.  xfree86 Build-Depends on libglide2-dev for a
> reason; to build the "glide" driver which gives you a *2D* X environment on
> Voodoo Graphics and Voodoo2 cards.

You mean to say a Voodoo2 graphics card that is sold/marketed/used as a
3D only chipset, can be used under X4 as a '2D' card? With no other
VESA/VGA card available?

If that's true that's great, I have a V2 sitting here doing nothing,
don't play many games under Linux -). But I could use it build another
computer that's missing a graphics card, and use gdm/xdm/kdm to boot
straight to X4?

> > You can use a V1 and V2 just fine with it under X4 because X4 does not
> > need to know anything about them,
>
> What it needs to know about them is provided by libglide2-dev.
>
> What X4 doesn't try to do with those old cards is 3D acceleration.

If the above is true, could you provide some pointers? All the material
I've been able to find about V2 is mostly 'how to get quake/doom/etc to
run on your V2 card and linux'.

Thanks
Gordon Sadler