Re: Help needed, TDFX [Re: Release-critical Bugreport for March 23, 2001]

On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 08:08:16PM +0100, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> >> Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:
>
>  > Neither.  It's that the X server and Glide2 would have to cooperate in
>  > order to let you do it.  As of XFree4, X no longer knows how to talk to
>  > Glide2, but does know how to talk to Glide3.  Evil, eh?
>
>  Then why does it work for V1 and V2?
>
>  What you are saying sound like "there's no DRM for glide2".
>
>  Maybe the bit of info I'm missing is why would I want to use glide2
>  instead of glide3 if I have a V3?  I remember vaguely something along
>  the lines of "all the V3s are equal, but some are more equal than
>  others".  Maybe I should go and buy myself a V1 or V2...

Ok, the design of the V3 chip is that if you try to talk to it about 3D
while it is in the middle of doing 2D, or try to talk to it about 2D
while it is doing 3D then you will have serious problems.

(FWIW, almost all 2D/3D cards have the same.)

Thus the 2D code must know that you are doing 3D on the card, X3 knew
about glide2, and worked with it to avoid these problems.

X4 no longer knows about glide2, it knows about the DRI, which means
that trying to use mesa3-glide2 on a V3 with X4 will result in a
disaster.

You can use a V1 and V2 just fine with it under X4 because X4 does not
need to know anything about them, they are purely 3D cards which just
pass-through the VGA signal normally, this is why they don't natively do
3D in a window.

I suppose it might be worth looking at the tdfx driver to see if I can
get it to know about glide2 again, as last I looked mesa3-glide2 + X3
was faster then DRI + X4 on the V3 (though, this may change with the DRI
CVS code, which I should have packaged soon.).

Any questions?

Zephaniah E. Hull.
(Just waking up, so not as clear as I could be, sorry.)

--
 PGP EA5198D1-Zephaniah E. Hull <warp@whitestar.soark.net>-GPG E65A7801
    Keys available at http://whitestar.soark.net/~warp/public_keys.