Re: testing is broken

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 06:17:35PM -0600, Scott Dier wrote:
> * Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> [010322 12:43]:
> > On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 10:37:59AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > > Isn't it getting to be time to drop dselect from the distribution?
> > Not until there's a replacement. apt is *not*, before you suggest it.
>
> If someone comes out with a deity front-end that exactly matches its
> wacked-out UI, I wouldn't mind.  I *like* dselect. :)

The root problem with dselect (and dpkg for that matter) is the amount
of data it reads into core. In dselect's case, the data occurs twice in
memory: once in the dpkg phase, and then it translates it into C++
dynamic allocations. When you exit the "Select" phase of dselect, back
to the menu, the memory used is returned to the C heap, but the
process's memory footprint does not decrease.

If you then go to the Install phase, you have the 12M of dselect, *and*
the 6M+ of its dpkg child.

It's just a pity that I find the dselect "Select" interface to be much
easier to use than any of the alternatives (eg. deity, apt-console). Now
if deity had a "luddite" mode... :-)

--
Paul Martin <pm@zetnet.net> (work)
  <pm@nowster.zetnet.co.uk> (home)