Re: testing is broken

On 23-Mar-01, 08:49 (CST), Paul Martin <pm@nowster.zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 06:17:35PM -0600, Scott Dier wrote:
> > * Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> [010322 12:43]:
> > > Not until there's a replacement. apt is *not*, before you suggest it.
> >
> > If someone comes out with a deity front-end that exactly matches its
> > wacked-out UI, I wouldn't mind.  I *like* dselect. :)
>
> The root problem with dselect (and dpkg for that matter) is the amount
> of data it reads into core.

The root problem with dselect is its insistance on evaluating
"recommends" (and "suggests", but that causes less annoyance) each and
every package each and every time it runs, rather than just when the
package containg the recommends is (de-)selected, which makes recommends
completely annoying for dselect users.

The memory issue is a minor implementation pecadillo by comparison.

Steve, who also likes dselect.

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read