Re: The util-linux reorganisation

In Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:45:32 -0500 Alan cum veritate scripsit :

> > > - I'll split the locales in a separate non-essential package. That
> > > reduces util-linux by 1.4 MB.

> Some people may prefer the saved space to the availability of other
> languages.  As an example, I don't need the locales on my laptop, and
> nobody else will, either, since nobody else has (or likely will have)
> an account on my laptop.

The main problem here is that the locales is getting rather too big,
and most of the data is not necessary on most systems.

I was looking at some script to do an "rm -rf" of unrequired
directories. That seems to save up a lot of space.

Although, it won't decrease the size of the binary package itself,
I think it is better to implement such a script, because

  a) it won't need chopping up of all the packages which contain
	locale data
  b) people will start saying that locale data is too big, and
	decide to make locale-ja locale-fr etc.
  c) Works as it is.

Any comments ?

# I also have a "cleanUpMyHomeDir" script to clean up my home directory.
# It would be quite nice to run from time to time, because KDE
# and GNOME and Mozilla and other things leave many temporary data in the
# home directory, that would really need occasional cleanup.

--
dancer@debian.org : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4