Re: Changing standard mailbox setup of Debian?

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 03:24:04PM +0000, Richard Kettlewell wrote:
> Radovan Garabik writes:
> > On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 10:09:49AM +0000, Richard Kettlewell wrote:
>
> >> Also some sites like to keep home directories and the mail spool
> >> separated e.g. for quota or backup purposes.
> >
> > quota and backup purposes where one of the main reasons I changed
> > my mail setup to use ~/Maildir instead of /var/mail :-)
> > Your argument is valid in both directions.
>
> You've misunderstood my argument, then, which is that it makes more
> sense for the default to allow mail and home directories to be treated
> separately easily.
>
> For instance, you (AIUI) prefer to have the same quota apply to both
> mail and home directories.  You can do that by having mail delivery go
> somewhere inside /home; but you could also do that by having
> /var/spool/mail on the same file system as /home.  So either approach
> could easily be made to work for you.

well, I have several computers with shared /home, and I (and users)
prefer to have the same mail spool on each of them. This is achievable
with standart setup, but: there are also some local users on each of the
computers, who do not exist on other computers, with their $HOME outside
shared /home (and thus local). Trying to set up mail system like this
properly would be at best messy with /var/mail, but is a non-issue with
mail going into $HOME.

[the rest skipped because I agree with that]

Actually, it might seem as if I was against /var/mail and for ~/.Mail
(or somehting), but in fact, I think both approaches  have their pluses
and minuses, and it happened that way that if mail going into $HOME were
the deault, it would have saved me some work.

The _best_, of course, would be if MTA asked in setup whether it should
use mailbox or maildir, and whether the mail should go  into /var/mail
or ~/somewhere - and if exim ever uses debconf, I'll be tempted to write
a patch for it.