Re: Changing standard mailbox setup of Debian?

Arthur Korn writes:

> Hmm, I see, it would make /var/spool/mail suffer of the same
> problems as /tmp now ...
>
> So what's the problem with using MAIL=~/.mail?

You may have to deliver over NFS with that.  A lot of people don't
want NFS involved in their mail delivery, usually for performance or
reliability reasons.

Also some sites like to keep home directories and the mail spool
separated e.g. for quota or backup purposes.

You can use ~/.mail yourself if you like - but it's not necessarily
the best choice for a default.

ttfn/rjk