Re: Xpdf fuckware

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 02:52:57AM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> I agree with everything you say, with one exception. Why should xpdf be a
> tool for filtering objectionable authors? Apply the original patch.

Filtering authors?  That's something I do.  Telling you the contents of
the file (including permission bits) is perfectly within the scope of the
program's function.

> Joseph, if you want to know who is attempting to violate your copyrights
> (Yes, people other than the copyright holder have rights under the
> copyright law!) then write a little script that surveys your doc files and
> makes a list of authors/creators who would wish to restrict your rights.
>
> Let's don't get our morals confused with technical usefulness. There is no
> moral obligation on the part of xpdf to tell you anything about the
> author's wishes WRT these bits. It's only obligation is to satisfy the
> design, presenting the contents to the screen and to the printer at the
> user's choice. There is nothing in the (non-existant) design spec that
> says this product is supposed to act on anyone elses desires, not even
> those of the author.

The obligation of xpdf is to do what it is coded to do.

The author chose to honor these copy control bits.  I want it to instead
tell me they're there and let me do what I want.  This is the most likely
solution to get included upstream and happens to be just ducky as far as
I'm concerned.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                Free software developer

<zarkov> "NT 5.0.  All the bugs and ten times the code size!"