Re: E-commerce made easy

On Thursday 15 March 2001 00:50, Brian May wrote:
>     Russell> So you could make Postfix listen on port 80, 25, 110, 23,
>     Russell> 22, and 53 and be sure that almost every firewall in the
>     Russell> world will let at least one of them through.  You will
>     Russell> have to use the inet_interfaces option to limit Postfix
>     Russell> to a single IP and have a second IP address on the
>     Russell> machine (presuming that you want to run the other
>     Russell> services too).
>
> Receiving side is OK.

Could you please write a HOWTO document on this?  This is something that
shouldn't be so difficult (but was for me).

> What I was not sure of is configuring the sending side to relay
> via the new port.
>
> Currently I have:
>
> relayhost = snoopy.apana.org.au
>
> on the sending side, in main.cf, that AFAIK does not allow specifying
> non-SMTP ports.

relayhost = snoopy.apana.org.au:110

You will probably slap your forehead when you read this.  If I had said "it's
possible and I'll give you one guess" you probably would have guessed it.  ;)

> Another thing to watch for (I haven't tested this extensively myself),
> is MX records. For instance, say if my laptop tried to send mail via
> SMTP to snoopy.apana.org.au, but couldn't (eg. because snoopy is
> offline). IIRC, it would then try the next MX record,
> mail.melb.apana.org.au, however, this would probably fail because it
> has not been configured to allow TLS relaying.

I have not observed such things.  My understanding of this option is that
relayhost refers to an IP address, A record, or CNAME not to an MX...

Maybe I am wrong...