Re: E-commerce made easy

On Tuesday 13 March 2001 00:02, Brian May wrote:

>     Russell> To avoid getting hit by the DUL myself I have my laptop
>     Russell> configured with Postfix on localhost, Postfix sends mail
>     Russell> to a port on localhost which is owned by inetd.  Inetd
>     Russell> runs ssh to connect to my server and the SMTP
>     Russell> communication runs through this.  So I can send mail from
>     Russell> anywhere in the world and it comes from my server, so I
>     Russell> can send mail even when the ISP I am using has it's
>     Russell> relays blocked by ORBS etc.
>
> Another way of doing this is to use SSL over SMTP, and have a private
> key on the sending computer authenticate you to the server, and allow
> relaying.

Last time I tried that I couldn't get it working.  I'll have to get some
advice from you on how to do it right.

> I have done this with postfix-tls here, but don't think it is
> supported by debian.org (?). Also, unlike Russell's solution, you have
> to use the SMTP port, so if this has been blocked by some firewall you
> are out of luck.

You can make postfix listen on other ports, the following line in
/etc/postfix/master.cf will make it listen on port 23:
telnet    inet  n       -       -       -       -       smtpd

So you could make Postfix listen on port 80, 25, 110, 23, 22, and 53 and be
sure that almost every firewall in the world will let at least one of them
through.
You will have to use the inet_interfaces option to limit Postfix to a single
IP and have a second IP address on the machine (presuming that you want to
run the other services too).