Re: Digital Rights Management

On Wednesday 14 March 2001, at 13 h 40, the keyboard of "Ean R . Schuessler"
<ean@brainfood.com> wrote:

> There is a topic that I would like to discuss with you that I really

This belongs to debian-project so I address only the technical issues here.

> It seems to me that our community must create its own digital rights
> management system that is an integral part of the GNU operating
> system.

This is a completely broken idea, technically speaking. I suggest:

- Bruce Schneier's "Secrets and Lies" book, for a good rebuffal
<http://www.counterpane.com/sandl.html>
- Bruce Schneier's Cryptogram letters <http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram.h
tml>, for instance <http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-0005.html#TrustedCli
entSoftware>.

> theft. Digital rights management will happen, one way or another,

No, unless:

- impossible technical problems are solved (such as allowing copying - at least to the loudspeaker - without allowing it) AND,
- a fascist dictatorship, with important military power, is established in most countries in the world.