Re: Digital Rights Management

I see an issue that has not been addressed yet: what about copying for
private use?

Example 1: CDs don't have a finite lifetime, making copies of the
music means you can keep playing the music even if the original CD
(paid for with full purchase price) becomes damaged and unusable.

Example 2: I have 8 CDs, each containing one track which I like. Why
can't I copy each of these tracks onto a new CD, so I can play my
favourite tracks on my car CD player, which only takes on CD at a
time?

Neither of these examples means that I going to give copies to other
people, try to sell my CDs, or anything else along those lines. They
are for my private use only.

Neither of these example affects the music company in anyway, but I
might be more reluctant to purchase the legal CD if I couldn't make
copies of it.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>