Re: Xpdf fuckware

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001 07:52:56 PST phil@bolthole.com wrote:

> Just as a matter of ethics, Id like to disagree on a minor point:
> I think you've overstated things a little, with reguard to copyright.
> I believe that authors should still have legal copyright on
> electronic documents.
> You seem to say otherwise.
> But I certainly agree that attempting to enforce that through software is a
> futile effort.

I certainly agree here. Enforcing them is futile. But perhaps as a matter of courtesy (not only to the authors of the PDF documents in question, but also to the xpdf author, who seems to have a totally opposite viewpoint to what is being presented here and will probably complain a bit), we should modify the patch so that while the copy controls are still disabled, it notifies the user (a messagebox seems appropriate) upon loading the PDF about what kind of access controls are enabled? (e.g. "This PDF file has bits set to disallow copying of the text," and perhaps an optional "Please follow fair use restrictions")

Comments?

-chris
--
"Meat. They're made out of meat."

"It's better than bad, it's good!"

(I subscribe to all lists that I post to; please do not Cc me on list
reply)
Chris Danis                                 screech@mad.scientist.com
                                                   screechco@home.com
                                                     dadanish@usa.net