Re: Possibility of packaging JDK 1.3?

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 09:47:09PM +0100, Kenneth Vestergaard Schmidt wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 March 2001 16:00, Miros/law `Jubal' Baran wrote:
> >
> > Isn't it better to add a simple line to the /etc/apt/sources.list?
> >
> > deb ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian potato non-free
> > works for me.
>
> I haven't tested it, and it doesn't matter. Thanks for the link, since it is
> nice to have a JDK packages for Debian, but as long as it isn't in non-free
> (it can't be in main), it wouldn't be right to declare dependencies on it.
> This would in turn mean, that if I were to file an ITP on those Java-packages
> I would love to see in Debian, they would be partly-broken, since they'd have
> no way to depend on the JDK.

Actually, check policy.  I have this strange impression that policy
allows packages in contrib to depened on things outside of
debian. Althought it might be confusing for users.

> Who made the deb? And is the person willing to maintain it?

That's not the issue.  The issue is that it would be illegal to
redistribute them -- yes, the sun licenses really is that
ugly. Varioius people have tried asking permission; I think someone
said they were doing it now (again).

Jules