Re: portability as a goal for debian?

    Andreas> * Michael Piefel (piefel@informatik.hu-berlin.de) [010307 14:29]:
    >> I feel that calling the whole thing Debian GNU/Linux is quite explicit
    >> already. What more do you ask for?

    Andreas> Now imagine debian gnu/openbsd or debian openbsd.
                 ^^^^^^^

Sorry, I can't.

    Andreas> the name debian gnu/linux allready implies that gnu and
    Andreas> linux are only one of several different options.

Wrong.  The name Debian GNU/*Linux* didn't "imply several different
options" for quite a long time, until GNU/Hurd appeared, of course.

That *GNU* is obviously (and not just to me) not one of "several
different options", but pretty much an invariant.

Bye, J

--
Jürgen A. Erhard    juergen.erhard@gmx.net   phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
     MARS: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard/mars_index.html